Some may get confused between searching for a translation service of all types and their desire to get the documents translated “instantly”. You see a lot of people looking for word “instant translation” and in fact they want to access an office that offers instant document translation service!
To make the idea clearer, we provide you with a basic definition of translation services and their different types. Translation is a universally agreed method of conveying a particular idea or message in a different language from its original language, which is said to be a way of expressing the same thing in two different languages at the same time. In other words, translation is a mean of conveying the meanings and text spirit from its original language to another language. Therefore, there are some skills that the professional translator must have. The most important of these is the ability to fully master both languages and a good knowledge of both languages’ culture and history in order to translate the text accurately and correctly.
In general, there are two main translation types: Written Translation that is the translation of written texts of all their different classifications and the Interpretation including all its types.
EgyTranscript is one of the best translation offices in Egypt. We provide special language solutions including translations from Arabic to English and other languages. We also provide special interpretation services for conferences and other major international events.
How to choose between interpretation and translation
Basic differences between translation and interpretation
Translation and interpretation are distinct but closely related areas of language services. While both involve the transfer of messages from one language to another, there are fundamental differences in terms of medium, time frame, and skill sets required.
Translation mainly deals with written texts. Translators work with written documents such as books, articles, legal contracts, and websites, converting source material into a target language. They focus on accurately preserving the meaning, tone and style of the original text while ensuring that the translated version is read fluently in the target language. Translators have the luxury of time, allowing them to research extensively, view reference materials, and review and edit their work as necessary. These professionals possess strong writing skills, cultural awareness, and subject matter experience to ensure the accuracy and quality of their translations.
Simultaneous translation, on the other hand, refers to the oral transfer of meaning between languages. Interpreters work in real time during meetings, conferences, court proceedings, medical appointments, and other places where communication between speakers of different languages is essential. They must listen to the speaker’s words in one language and simultaneously transfer them to the target language or vice versa. Unlike translators, interpreters do not have the opportunity to go back and review their work, since they must quickly process and convey the message at the moment. This requires exceptional language and cognitive skills, including the ability to think quickly, rest with ambiguity, and maintain accuracy and cohesion under pressure. While translators usually work independently, interpreters often work in team settings, particularly in the conference interpretation sector.
Interpreters may also specialize in specific areas, such as legal or medical translation. In addition, technology plays a different role in each field. Translation relies heavily on computer-aided tools, such as translation memory systems, to enhance efficiency and consistency. In contrast, interpreters tend to rely on their instant language and cognitive abilities, although they may also use technologies such as remote interpreting platforms.
In short, translation and interpretation differ in terms of medium (written versus oral), time frame (flexible versus real-time), required skill sets (strong writing vs. exceptional listening and speaking skills), and use of technology. While both fields play essential roles in facilitating intercultural communication, understanding these differences is critical for clients seeking language services and for professionals looking to enter these niche areas.
Written Translation Areas
Written Translation varies greatly, as there is general, legal, economic, scientific, religious, historical, engineering, media and literary translation and other that cover various areas of life.
Written Translation can be done using two basic means that are:
- Human Translation: Human translators translate texts themselves and find meanings and synonyms that lead to the precise meaning of the text. It is considered the most accurate and the best mean of translation because of the great potential of the human mind and its ability to convey the spirit of the text without the use of literal translation, as in the other means – machine translation.
- Machine Translation: Some computer programs, such as Google Translate, are used. For example, a professional translator often reformulates the machine translation and makes some linguistic and grammatical changes to the text to make it more coherent and logical. Machine translation is appropriate for the translation of technical or scientific texts according to their superior ability to save and use fixed terminology.
Interpretation Services from EgyTranscript – Interpretation types
Interpretation or simultaneous translation -as some call it-requires speed and presence of mind besides clear tone of voice and accent. It is a translation of what being said simultaneously whether by whispering people, in conferences or in other situations and different circumstances in which there should be an interpreter to pursue a real communication between two parties that don’t speak the same language.
Interpretation is divided into different types:
- At sight Translation: or the translation by just taking a look at a text; the translator reads the text in the language transferred to it only by looking at the text in its original language.
- The consecutive translation: It occurs when there is a meeting between two parties, each party speaks a language different from the other, the first party speaks in his language and the translator translated the language to the second party, and then the second party responds and thus the translator transfers the talk in the language of the first party. Thusly, the translation is done by following the conversation from one language to another.
- Interpretetion: This is the translation that takes place in some international conferences, where the language of the speaker is different from the language of the audience, so there should be an interpreter to translate the talk in instant.
In addition, the interpretation service can be used in education and studies in addition to conferences and meetings
Talent plays a great role in the personality of the translator and his degree of professionalism. The translator faces many difficulties during his professional career, including a good understanding of the text, a good knowledge of the source language and its culture that differs from the target language.
At EgyTranscript, we are keen to select and appoint distinguished cadres and translators that are professional and trained at the highest level to ensure the best translation and interpretation services for our clients
Simultaneous translation or instant translation?!
Contact us and we will help you choose the right interpretation service for your needs – Best Translation Service from the Middle East